SSE Airtricity are proud to make a difference.
From small beginnings they’ve grown to become Ireland’s second largest energy provider, supplying greener electricity and natural gas to over 800,000 homes and businesses on the island. They’re proud too to be making a difference to the future of Ireland’s energy supply. Since 2008 their parent company, the FTSE Top-50 listed SSE plc, has invested over €2 billion, or around €1 million a day, in growing their energy business here – creating jobs in Ireland, sustaining employment, driving competition and greening our economy.
In energy generation, SSE Airtricity now own and operate 1836MW of generation capacity, of which almost 550MW is from renewable sources making SSE Airtricity the largest provider of wind power in Ireland. They’ve commissioned Ireland’s newest and one of its cleanest power plants – the 460MW CCGT (combined cycle gas turbine) power station at Great Island, Co. Wexford which can generate enough greener energy to power over half a million Irish homes. They’re also building the 169MW Galway Wind Park in partnership with Coillte – when completed it will become Ireland’s largest wind farm.
The green energy generated by SSE at its 25 wind farms across Ireland powers almost 300,000* Irish homes, significantly abating harmful Carbon Dioxide (CO2) emissions on the island by around 725,000* tonnes. Just over 60% of the electricity they supply is generated from renewable energy sources† – almost twice the All-Island average.
*Equivalent homes powered and CO2 abated calculations based on performance in 2014 of SSE Airtricity wind farms in Ireland.
† 60% renewable energy supply based on 2014 Fuel Mix Disclosure, published by the Commission for Energy Regulation, July 2015.
They’re proud too to be making a difference to the future of Ireland’s energy supply.
• They’ve invested €2 billion, or around €1 million a day, in delivering a greener energy infrastructure in Ireland and in delivering customer savings in energy supply.
• They’ve brought energy savings totalling over €100 million so far since 2009 to their home energy customers.
• They’ve commissioned Ireland’s newest and one of its cleanest power plants – the 460MW CCGT (combined cycle gas turbine) power station at Great Island, Co. Wexford. One of the most efficient generating plants in the country, SSE’s Great Island CCGT can generate enough greener energy to power over half a million Irish homes, significantly decarbonising power generation on the island.
• They’re building Ireland’s largest wind farm, the 169MW Galway Wind Park. Developed in partnership with Coillte, and representing an investment of €280million, the project will employ over 350 people during its construction. When completed it will be Ireland’s largest wind farm, capable of powering over 80,000 homes, equivalent to almost 90% of the homes in co. Galway.
• They’re generating almost 550MW of renewable energy, powering almost 300,000 homes.
• They’ve contributed nearly €1bn to Irish GDP in the financial year 2014/15, according to a study conducted by professional services firm PwC, supporting 6,460 jobs here.
• They employ over 1,000 people across the island doing everything from helping customers with questions about their bills to generating clean green renewable energy.
• They’re a market-leader in award-winning digital service with around 65% of all customer interactions performed via the company’s online, digital and mobile platforms.
• They’ve broadened our operations to enter the energy services market providing expert gas boiler servicing, repair and installation solutions to all domestic and commercial customers.
• They’re keeping communities safe by maintaining 250,000 street lights, around two thirds of all public lighting in Ireland.
• They’ve donated almost 500 days in employee volunteering to over 50 Irish good causes in the last year, representing a 55% participation rate by all staff.
• They’ve invested over €4.5 million so far into local communities from our community funds, supporting over 1,750 projects that are transforming schools, communities and sports clubs around our wind farms.
Come visit SSE Airticity at Jobs Expo 2015 on 17th & 19th October, 2015 at Croke Park, Dublin